Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Research Study

Last week I participated in a research study at CHLA to see the effects of radiation on the lungs. I was told about this back in March at my Gaynon appt. I figured if I can help future children who have to undergo radiation then what ever I had to do was worth it : )
My sister and I drove down there...and since it was the first time I drove to CHLA w/o my mom it was a bit scary (I don't like LA drivers)...but I made it! After signing all the release forms I gave blood from my radial artery...my wrist...and it hurt! They poked me twice and both times they got nothing..thankfully they didn't poke me again. Then I got to sit in this glass box and blow into a tube that measured my lung capacity. It was pretty awesome..I felt like an astronaut. All the people conducting and helping with the study were super supportive and encouraging. Then I had to go on a treadmill..now I warned them that I don't exercise and am a terrible runner..and they said it was okay. So I attached all the wires to me and started walking on the treadmill. I had never been on a treadmill before so it was really strange. Then I began jogging and then running..after about 7 and half minutes of being on the treadmill they told me once again that the speed would increase..but I was really tired so I had them stop it. Then I had to sit in the glass box and breathe into the tube at 5 minutes, 10 minutes, and 15 minutes after...I also had to inhale a medicine to help with any problems that could occur. After all that...I got $50 :) Overall it was fun experience and hopefully helpful.

My next Gaynon appt. is not until September..so I have a while to wait. I've been reading through Romans recently and wanted to leave you with a verse that spoke to me.

Romans 5:3-5 We can rejoice,too, when we run into problems and trials for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

This verse is just so encouraging. It tells us to rejoice even in our struggles because even in our darkest hour we will always have this hope of salvation because God loves us soo much and will never let us down.


Sunshine & Smiles
Carlene :)

No comments:

Post a Comment