Monday, April 6, 2009

Relaxing Birthday?

Well, I guess you can kind of call it that. Not exactly the kind of relaxing I was planning for when I wrote the last blog. You know the basking in the warm sun on the sandy beach with Carlene while John chased Alyna up and down the wet sand trying to avoid the crashing waves. No, but it was relaxing in it's own way.

I woke around 6 AM ready to take that morning walk on the beach with John before the girls woke up and to my shock, I could not move. When I tried to roll over a stabbing pain shot through my body with enough force to bring me to tears. I tried to sit up instead...impossible. My neck was out!!! Then it really hit me...I am now 40 and my body fails me on my birthday. We tried ice. We tried heat. John called our friend who is our chiropractor. He told me how much Motrin I could take and instructed John on how to massage my neck...NO WAY! I hurt so much I could not move much less touch it! John got a hold of our regular doctor who called in some Vicodin. While he was gone to the pharmacy, Alyna watched out our window and informed me of how many people were enjoying the beach. First there were 10 then there were a thousand. She also noticed that the wind from the evening before was gone and the weather was perfect. Together we cried, wishing we could be out there with them. I laid flat on my back in our gorgeous hotel room all morning. John and the girls went and got breakfast and brought it back to room to feed me (atleast I got breakfast in bed in on my birthday=). Then I insisted John take Alyna to the pool for some fun before we had to check out. Carlene had done back to bed as breakfast did not sit well with her chemo tummy. I found that if I cocked my head sideways to right and wrapped my arms around my head I could sit up. I insisted that I had to sit on our porch and watch the waves while John loaded the car. At least I got to enjoy the beach for a few minutes...from a far! That was the longest car ride home I have ever had. Every bump and jolt sent me through the roof in pain (and there were lots of railroad tracks to endure). Once we made it home, John set me up on the couch, as our waterbed was out of the picture. That is where I have been for the past 2 days. Flat on my back. I am finally up and moving slightly, but my head is still cocked to the side, but at least I do not have to hold it any more. This has been some birthday weekend! I can at least say I took the weekend off and did not do anything=)


  1. You really know how to join the club in a big way!!! It will always be a memorable birthday for you : )

    Oh, I know just how you feel! I've been there way too often. We must have the same genetic neck structure : ( Callan can relate too. The chiro says she has a "headache neck."

    Different beds/pillows will do that to me. I now have a half round memory foam roll neck pillow that I picked up at Penneys. It has been amazing at how it's helped my neck and headaches.

    Your weekend sounds like my last week! Only mine was not my neck it was a virus that attacked my whole body. A virus that hits you harder with age : (! It hit me hard. Hard enough that I called the dr. in the middle of the night. Sheer pain.

    When are you going to the chiropractor? I only WISH a chiropractor could fix this for me! Read my blog for the whole story and final self-diagnosis sequel. The doctor didn't know what it was. I had to figure it out myself with the help of friends.

    Sure hope you are feeling better!

    Your *Old*er* Sis

  2. Aw, poor Aunt Tara!!! How yucky. Being a sickie stinks!

  3. Awe bummer Mom. I am sorry you couldn't enjoy your bithday the way you wanted to. At least you have a wonderful husband to take care of you. I hope you are feeling better soon and back to your old....I mean "young" self again real soon. I love you!

  4. I just want you to know that I live about 5 minutes away from Oxnard. Which I find so funny that you were up here!! Sorry about the neck hope it gets better. Good luck Carlene with round 2 of chemo.

    Michelle Rn